Dr. Paddy Iyamu, Edo State Commissioner for Education
The Edo State government has introduced radical reforms in the education sector with far-reaching policy reviews and introduction of new measures to enhance quality, functionality and consistency in schools across the state.
Nwsmata.com.ng reports that the new education policies which are in line with the provisions of the National and Edo State Policies on Education, were unveiled on Tuesday by Dr. Emmanuel Paddy Iyamu, Commissioner for Education, and they are to take effect from the 2025/2026 academic session.
The new guidelines were contained in a memo titled “POLICY ON EDUCATION FOR BASIC AND SECONDARY SCHOOLS IN EDO STATE”, sent to all heads of schools in the state – public, private, and faith-based.
Notable among the reforms is the introduction of a Mandatory Entrepreneurship Skills Training for JSS 3 Students that will lead on graduation, to the award of a Skills Acquisition Certificate based on their choice from the 15 newly approved trade subjects. This is in addition to the main Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE).
Dr. Iyamu said, “This is in line with the transformation drive of our education-loving Governor, His Excellency Senator Monday Okpebholo, in ensuring that every Edo child graduates with not just an academic certificate but also a hands-on skill”.
The 15 newly approved Trade Subjects include: Plumbing, Tiling and Floor Works, POP (Plaster of Paris) Installation, Event Decoration and Management, Bakery and Confectioneries, Hairstyling, and Makeup.
Others are Interior Design, GSM Repairs, Satellite/TV Antenna Installation, CCTV, Intercom Installation, and Maintenance, Solar Installation and Maintenance, Garment Making, Agriculture and Processing (including crop production, beekeeping, horticulture, and livestock farming), and Basic Digital Literacy (IT and Robotics).
The new policy also addressed the issue of reuse of textbooks which was a contentious issue with the immediate past Godwin Obaseki government.
To promote stability and consistency in learning, from the next academic session, younger siblings are permitted to use approved textbooks previously purchased by their older siblings which would remain in use for a minimum of four years before review by the Ministry.
In order to frustrate circumvention of the guideline, the commissioner reminded authors and publishers that no textbook should contain workspaces within its content, warning that “henceforth, any textbook that includes workspaces will be derecognised by the Ministry”. He said workbooks shall henceforth be produced and used separately from textbooks.
As part of the overhaul of the education system, the ministry has banned graduation ceremonies or parties for pre-basic pupils – nursery/kindergarten, primary 6. In the new guidelines, graduation ceremonies are strictly reserved for pupils who have completed Basic Education (Primary 1–JSS 3) and Senior Secondary 3 (SSS 3). Even at these levels, only modest celebrations would be allowed while promenade (prom) parties are prohibited.
The commissioner said this policy is aimed at ensuring that pupils, students, parents, guardians, stakeholders, and school managers remain focused on achieving quality learning outcomes at the conclusion of each educational level.
In the same vein, moving pupils / students from lower class to certificate class unduly simply to write Middle Basic Assessment (MBA) or Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE) has been “highly prohibited”.
Meanwhile, executive Principals and school Heads have been directed to communicate the requirements of this memo to all JSS 3 students, parents, and staff, and to update school timetables to accommodate the entrepreneurship training period.
According to Dr. Iyamu, they are to “Ensure students understand that completion of the trade subject is critical for eligibility to receive their BECE certificate”.
All newly admitted students are also expected to sign “an Undertaking of Good Behaviour along with their parents/guardians”, while signed copies are to be submitted to the Chief Inspector of Education in the relevant local government areas with a copy retained by the school head latest wo weeks from the date of resumption.
While emphasising that all School Heads, Executive Principals are directed to fully comply with the content of this memo, the commissioner warned that “Any act of non-compliance will attract serious sanctions as determined by the Ministry”.