
Nigeria’s major opposition party, the Peoples Democratic Party, (PDP) appears to be investing its hope of sending President Tinubu out of office in 2027 on Peter Obi, the 2023 presidential candidate of the Labour Party, (LP) flying its flag. The PDP believes that with Obi as its flagbearer, the party would make an impact in 2027.
The PDP, which is also wooing former President Goodluck Jonathan, says there is a possibility of Jonathan running on the party’s platform, while dismissing the fear of his likely disqualification for having been sworn in twice as president.
Speaking during an interview on Channels Television programme, Politics Today on Tuesday monitored by Newsmata.com.ng, Senate Minority Leader Abba Moro, who expressed the party’s regret in fielding Vice-President Atiku Abubakar in 2023, believed Obi would have picked the ticket of the party if it had been zoned to the south as being agitated by some members.
According to the former interior minister, “As a party, we have not spoken to Peter Obi. But you recall also that in the run-up to 2023, the expectation was that the ticket of the PDP was going to go to the South and somehow, for reasons of fairness, people thought that the South-East, having not produced a candidate from a major political party like that, would definitely have fielded a South-East candidate, and obviously, it was Peter Obi that ordinarily would have picked the ticket. So, in anger, in frustration, Peter Obi left the PDP.
“And so, in the runup to 2027, I’m aware that certain individuals have been talking to Peter Obi. Hey, come back home; this is what we are likely going to do, and if you come, you stand a chance of being a candidate”.
Admitting that he’s one of those talking to Obi, Senator Moro said the conversation with him “is predicated on belief by such individuals that if Peter Obi comes back and he’s the most favoured candidate, the most important candidate and he becomes the candidate, the PDP will make an impact in 2027”.
But on the possibility of getting Peter Obi to return to the PDP, Senator Moro said, “You know, in politics, nothing is certain. I’ve always said that in politics 2 plus 2 is not four, and these are matters of interest. And when it comes to existential interest from a community of persons within a geopolitical zone, it is possible”.
Hinting that there are other potential candidates, he said, “But I can tell you for free that the PDP, like I told you before, is a big brand rooted in the Nigerian people. And so, if, like now that the ticket has been zoned to the south, there are several other persons that can also fly the flag of the party.
On President Jonathan, who he described as “also a credible candidate”, Moro disagreed that the former president is not qualified to contest, arguing that the PDP stood no risk in fielding him.
The senator representing Benue South senatorial district, contended that “There’s nothing dangerous there. You will recall that in 2015 when President Jonathan wanted to run, there were hues and cries all over the place about the constitutionality of his candidature, but eventually, it was settled, given by the court that he was qualified to run, and that is why he ran”.
On Governor Seyi Makinde of Oyo State, Senator Moro acknowledged that he has performed “very creditably well” as governor, and so he wants to run for president.
“And, like I said, he will not be the only person that will be running for president in 2027 if it comes to that. And so, by the time Nigerians in the PDP, gather and weigh the pros and cons of all the candidates, PDP members will be able to pick a candidate by their estimation that is capable of challenging the APC government.
“And so, if it is Seyi Makinde, fine by us; then all of us will file behind him. But I can assure you that there are more than one or two other persons that are in contention”.